Friday, April 9, 2010

Whelen Slim-Miser ™

Upon receiving my Whelen Slim-Miser LED dash light I checked the current draw and discovered it pulls up to approx. 670 mA (surge when switching to steady burn, which quickly drops to about 300 mA). Then I checked and discovered it is fused with an 8 amp fuse, which I replaced with a 3/4 amp fuse. Initial bench testing shows this to work just fine using any of the pattern settings.

It’s unknown why the manufacture would use such a large value fuse on this unit, but I’d rather risk popping a fuse than to risk a fire.

The unit fits nicely in the car and the brightness seems more than adequate. I like the button which changes patterns, as opposed to the ‘switch in the hole’ style used on my older Slimlighter. I also like the updated simultaneous Action Flash pattern which is completely simultaneous instead of half simultaneous, half alternating as with my Slimlighter. Nice pattern, now I can legally use it on my car. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment