Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Whelen ULF44 LED flasher

Well I got my new flasher installed running my two front mounted 911EP Stars, replacing the Able2 flasher which burnt out last fall.

I installed the new flasher in the small bin, just to the right of the main glove box compartment. Hopefully it will fair better than the Able2, which I had mounted under the hood on the right fender well. The Able2 did hold up quite well, four years, considering the extreme heat under the hood of my black GP.

Was pleasantly surprised to discover that I can use it with two switches in an either/or configuration. Using one switch for main power with the flasher pattern set to Steady and a second switch connected to the Pattern Override contact which activates a second pattern, in my case currently the Double Flash pattern.

Was previously using a second switch for steady operation of the Stars, but now I can take advantage of the six intensity levels available though the ULF44. Right now I'm running it at the third brightness level, which makes the Stars appear more like marker lights. At full brightness the Stars look like mini fog lamps, but I was concerned they may produce a bit too much glare for some drivers.

The twin switch configuration now gives me the ability to turn off the front mounted Stars and use only the rear facing flashers if I choose.

Also has a Low Power contact if I wanted to connect to a third switch, the park lights, or wire to the 12v lead; I'm not planning to do that at this time.

Am also using a 3/4 amp fuse with this flasher/light combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment